Designers create the features and content that entertain our players. They ensure our games are fun, exciting, and immersive, and tell a story that our players want to return to again and again. It is a designer’s responsibility to construct mechanics that suit everyone from hard core to casual gamer, with elegant designs that are easy to learn, but difficult to master.
Designers find the right designs quickly, implement them efficiently, and iterate until they have created an epic experience that pushes the boundaries for our players. A designer must champion collaboration, creativity, and quality in every design. At Arctic 7, we are building a very close team of game designers to create exceptional games together.
As a Level Designer, you will take responsibility for multiple game systems and the content to support them. You will take them from initial concept, champion their vision, define their requirements, work with the team to implement them, and then iterate and tune them until they meet all their goals.
Having this role, you will:
- Work with senior level designers to develop and refine levels, locations, and map objectives.
- Bring your designs through every phase of development from concept to polish.
- Work with your lead and teammates to set priorities and goals for your work.
- Champion established game rules and ideas within your work, ensuring it makes for the best possible gameplay experience.
- Keeping the player in mind, use feedback, playtesting, and telemetry to refine your designs.
- Support your teammates through knowledge-sharing and documentation.
- Participate constructively and respectfully in the critique of your work, and the work of others.
- Look for opportunities to learn new skills to benefit your growth, your team, and the studio.
- 3+ years of experience designing levels for single or coop-multiplayer FPS or RPG’s.
- Level editor experience (for engines such as Unreal Engine or Unity).
- Strong documentation and visualization skills.
- Enjoy creative problem-solving, and value respectful feedback processes.
- Broad taste in games.
Nice to have, but not required:
- RPG or FPS experience
- Technical background with experience in programming or visual scripting.
- Experiences with software such as Maya, Sketchup or ZBrush.
- Degree or experience in art, architecture, interior design or industrial design.